Friday, October 3, 2008

On Top of the World



You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. Rene Daumal
A few weeks ago I hiked Timpanogos with some friends and family. It was so great! I love hiking! The leaves had already begun to change colors, so it was extra beautiful up there! We made it to the top of the mountain and the views were amazing! Its such an awesome feeling to stand on top of a mountain and look at the world below. Its such a great accomplishment to make it to the top and so incredibly enjoyable along the way. The quote above is one of my favorites. You have to make it to the top on your own to really know what it feels like to be up there. You can't give that to anyone else. Everyone has to go to the top on their own to discover for themselves what its like.

5 comments:

Just Be us said...

Way to go, Ang!

Amy said...

oh, I miss the mountains so much. Sigh...

Diane said...

Those pictures are beautiful! I can't believe that I have never hiked timp!

don and jacki said...

now... i am impressed! i have never made that venture myself (timp cave was the closest!) it made me tired thinking about the hike, can't imagine what it would have done to me if i would have physically done it. good work!

Just Be us said...

New post, please!